Friday 12 November 2010

Ashes Hype Builds

Well, I'm back! I do apologise to all my devoted followers (anyone out there?) for the absence of much writing recently, I would like to blame this on my busy schedule. My current hectic schedule includes playing my first game of the season in Australia (I scored 65 out of 102 and took 2 wickets, thanks for asking).

I was thinking about the best subject for an article and since there is so much Ashes build up at the moment, that seemed like a convenient choice.

The incredible importance of this series is plain to see in both teams preparation. England have played their best XI in both tour games so far which is a far cry from previous tour warm up games. They look a very settled side although there do remain some niggling worries with the batting (they have not yet posted a commanding total on tour) but at least Pietersen seems to be returning to his old self (his importance to England's cause cannot be underestimated). I am also pleased to report that the bowling looks very strong (trying really hard not to become too optimistic here).

Whilst England look settled and are set on their first XI for the 25th of November. Australia are a complete rabble in comparison, all their key players are playing state cricket in an effort to gain some form (even Ponting is making a rare appearance for Tasmania, although I am happy to report, unsuccessfully). They have a few fast bowlers coming back from injury who are trying to prove form and fitness before the first Test. I believe their bowling attack will be Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger and Hauritz as the spinner. This fills me with cautious optimism. Whilst Bollinger is a very strong bowler and should trouble England, Hilfenhaus is more of an English style bowler and I am confident the England batsmen will be able to repel his threat.

As for Mitchell Johnson (who I believe is only keeping his place in the team due to past achievements) I think he has completely lost whatever it was that made him such a fearsome bowler, even his once very promising batting has deteriorated rapidly. Ryan Harris (who has just taken 9 wickets in the match against Tasmania) and Peter Siddle I feel would be better options for Australia. My feelings towards Nathan Hauritz are well documented and I will not list the many derogatory terms that come to mind when trying to describe his bowling.

Their batting is also a worry. Hussey and North are both desperately short of form although I would be very surprised to see them omitted for the first Test. There have been questions over Michael Clarke's form but a timely century for NSW will have lifted some of the pressure surrounding him.

Both teams are trying to prepare in the best possible way (Australia even used the one-day series against Sri Lanka as a training exercise). My feeling is that both teams' batting strength is weak while both teams have strong bowling attacks. My previous prediction of 2-1 to Australia is under consideration (mainly due to the fact that I don't think the batsmen on both sides will bat long enough to force 2 draws) so since I don't think Australia will win it 3-1, I'm going to plump for an Ashes regaining 2-2 draw for England (it would be the first drawn Ashes series since 1972).

The stage is set for an exhilarating series between two extremely closely (albeit fairly moderate) matched sides. Game On!

No comments: