Sunday 24 October 2010

Cricinfo's All Time World XI

Today, ESPNCricinfo released their All Time World XI after months of build-up. The side was selected from the representatives of all the National All Time XI's. For those of you who may not know, the side that was selected is as follows:
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee

Now I cannot have too many complaints over this XI as when I selected my own version a few months ago (as I'm sure most cricket lovers have at some point) the only change from this team was Akram for McGrath (McGrath did not even make the Cricinfo 2nd XI).

To start with, the opening partnership is a very difficult proposition, the other two players that came under my consideration were Gavaskar and Sehwag. It was probably the position I took the most time over as I am a massive fan of Sehwag and the brand of cricket that he employs, however to make an All Time XI I believe you have to scrutinise an entire career and as Sehwag has still got a lot of time left in his career I felt it best to leave him out, with a heavy heart I might add (he was however selected in Cricinfo's Reader's XI). In the end I believe the all-English partnership of Hobbs and Hutton is entirely justified (Hobbs' 197 first-class centuries and Hutton's 364 at the tender age of 22 probably did them no harm).

In my opinion the middle order all but picks itself with Bradman and Tendulkar automatic selections (yes I know what I said about picking players that haven't finished their careers but Tendulkar is the exception). My only sticking point was between Lara and Richards but in the end opted for Richards, mainly for his style and swagger (not to mention his blisteringly fast run making).

The All-rounder slot is as much a non-contest as the No.3 position with Garry Sobers waltzing into the side. No one even comes close to challenging him.

The wicket-keeper slot is an interesting one. Do you opt for the popular option of superior batting or the more traditional choice of flawless glovemanship? In my original selection I opted for Gilchrist because of his revolutionary approach to batting and the way he changed the expectation of a keeper. The fact that his selection would mean the two fastest ever century makers would appear in the same team also crossed my mind. Although after re-thinking my position, I wondered whether his batting ability would be needed, bearing in mind what comes before him. Instead I thought about the bowlers and who they would prefer behind the stumps. When I thought about this, Alan Knott was the man who popped into my head. Brilliant behind the stumps and far from a mug with the bat, you have to wonder how many runs he would save. After a lengthy consideration I have decided to sub in Knott for Gilchrist.

My bowling attack of Marshall, Warne, Lillee and McGrath is perhaps not as balanced as Cricinfo's due to Akram providing a change in angle as a left-armer but I feel that McGrath (the seamer with the most wickets in Test history) is someone that would be the perfect foil for the more explosive Marshall and Lillee, not to mention the partnership he had with Warne which was the catalyst for Australian domination over a 10 year period.

Feel free to leave your own views on an All time World XI below.

No comments: